1. Travel
Anitra Brown

Tipping At The Medical Spa

By July 4, 2006

Tipping at the spa is an important part of spa etiquette, but what about tipping on services at the medical spa? If it's a medical procedure like botox you aren't expected to tip. But if it's a regular spa treatment like a massage or facial, tipping 15-20% is customary.
Comments
July 20, 2007 at 4:27 pm
(1) Linda says:

Hi,
Had my first experience at a medical spa just yesterday and I wondered about tipping…I did not, but am going back as this will be a series of glycolic peels. Do you consider this a “tippable” procedure? Is the difference that one should tip an esthetician and not a medical professional? thank you.

February 1, 2008 at 11:30 am
(2) vpm says:

I had the same question.
Do you tip the estitician and not the medical professional?

I will be having Isolax/PPX soon and it will be an estetician doing the procedure. But, it is a specialty medical procedure.
So what is the etiquette?

August 15, 2008 at 7:18 am
(3) Dara says:

Same question….I just had my third glycolic
peel and it just occurred to me…should I
be tipping? I haven’t. It’s a very short
appointment and very expensive. Feels more
like a med thing rather than a spa thing?

August 16, 2008 at 5:33 pm
(4) Mary Lohman says:

Tipping is discretionary and the amount should reflect the fulfillment of the service received. The amount should be appropriate to the job performed. Example: Airport bags ($2) doorman (10%), hair dresser (15-20%) massage therapist (18%), permanent cosmetic technician (20%) wedding official $50-$100 and etc. If you have a service that requires a great deal of responsible, I suggest tipping when in doubt.
It is like an “insurance policy” for receiving excellent service…especially if you have repeat service!

August 18, 2008 at 9:27 pm
(5) spas says:

I’m going to weigh in on all these situations. Many medical spas don’t allow tipping, so I would ask. I would not tip 15-20% for quick glycolic peels or expensive procedures (even if done by an esthetician.) However, I would probably offer her something — $10 for a glycolic and $20 for a more lengthy treatment using lasers.

September 24, 2008 at 10:20 am
(6) felicia says:

I am an Esthetician and I work for a Dr. in a medi-spa. I never “expect” a tip, but I do work on commision, so it’s always really nice an a plesant suprise to get a tip. I will tell you, most NEVER tip on a laser, and NEVER on a series of glycolic peels. If you have a facial, I would reccomend a tip but ONLY if you really enjoyed your treatment. When in doubt, always offer.. she can always say no thanks you. Happy medi-spa -ing!!!!

December 15, 2008 at 10:19 am
(7) Megan says:

I am an esthetician and I work in a medical spa. I get paid commission and I get paid a higher amount on the clincial services than the spa services. Since the spa services require so much more time and labor (i.e. massage, extractions, etc)tipping is almost always expected unless the client didn’t like the procedure. 18%-20% is the average tip. This is the same for massage therapists that work in a medical spa. Most technicians do not make a very high commission, so we rely on the tips as part of our income.

April 14, 2011 at 8:49 am
(8) amy says:

What about teeth whitening that requires 2 visits? Should a 20% tip be given?

June 18, 2011 at 11:14 pm
(9) Barb says:

Mary, I hope you don’t tip your hairdresser only 10%, I am a hairdresser and that is very low on the scale, do you realize how hard it is on the body?

July 23, 2011 at 11:03 am
(10) KAL says:

Help! I just had my first facial chemical peel by an esthetician. I will be going back once a month over the next three months for three more. I did not tip her. Should I be tipping her?

August 27, 2011 at 12:19 pm
(11) Susan says:

When paying for my lip injection at a med spa the other day, my receipt had a tip line, I was thrown off because the procedure was 250.00 and lasted about 10 minutes. I was not sure what to tip but felt I had to because of the tip line. They offer other services such as hair and nails which I would automatically tip, but lip injection performed by an RN? Not sure about that.

October 7, 2011 at 10:50 pm
(12) amanda says:

I’m a nurse, and although I don’t work in a medspa, I know that tipping a nurse is “not allowed” in my state. I’m also a medspa customer/patient. I do not tip the RNs on “procedures”. I do tip the aestheticians for facials, waxing, etc.

Don’t know if that helps, but I hope so!