1. Travel
Anitra Brown

When Massage Therapists Go Too Far

By February 14, 2011

Eeeeewwww!   A massage therapist in Minneapolis was just sentenced to 11 years for going way beyond the bounds while massaging six female clients in Apple Valley, Minnesota, a suburb of Minneapolis.  I'm not even going to mention what he did.  It was a new one to me.

I will say that this sort of horror story is exactly why some women feel uncomfortable being massaged by men and prefer female over male massage therapists. It's really unfortunate, because most male therapists are in the business for all the right reasons, and some of my best massages have been by men.

Comments
February 15, 2011 at 4:23 pm
(1) Darlene says:

That is such a shame that someone would do something like that. Male or Female. I have had great massages by male and female massage therapists alike. What a pervert that guy was and he got his due justice. I agree that most male therapists are in it for the right reasons and are true professionals. Due dilligence on the customer’s part by checking references and so forth should be done prior to going to a spa.

February 15, 2011 at 4:26 pm
(2) Anne Dimon says:

This is certainly an isolated case. I have been writing about spas around the world for the last 20 years and have never encountered inappropriate behavior from any therapist – male or female. I agree with you that most (I’d say the majority) of male therapists are dedicated professionals and in the industry for the right reasons. There is often one bad apple in every barrel.

February 15, 2011 at 5:52 pm
(3) tom b. says:

I can’t begin to wonder what this guy did to those poor woen. It must be pretty bad when anitra cant even say what he did!

February 15, 2011 at 6:08 pm
(4) Anne Dimon says:

And, SIX female clients? Why did it take that long for someone to blow the whistle?

February 16, 2011 at 8:07 am
(5) Shri LMT says:

I am a LMT for over a decade. Also a recipient of massage for over three decades. About a third of the male MT that I have encountered have been suggestive and draped improperly during the session. Ya just never know… Now, I prefer and request a very strong woman over a male when receiving .

February 17, 2011 at 6:13 pm
(6) Male massage therapist says:

I am a male massage therapist, working in Europe. I’ve studied 4 and a half years to learn this profession and worked 10 years by now, so I know what’s all about in this business.
I cannot imagine myself what that guy did to those women if he took 11 years in prison, possibly rape, I don’t know.
The point is that if you are really professional as a male therapist, no way to get trouble. In this job you can see naked bodies, men and women alike, young and old alike, pretty or ugly alike.
But massage is NOT sex! Even in a fancy Spa, massage is a medical act, that’s why you are supposed to know anathomy almost like a doctor.
The article is a bit tendencious, cause now many women will avoid men therapists, even if that man is experienced, professional and, why not? a nice person himself.

February 21, 2011 at 12:53 pm
(7) Anitra Brown says:

Okay, you can read it on the link to the news story but I’ll tell you. He groped their breast and genitals and one person said he put his penis in her hand! As others have said, this is very unusual and beyond the beyond!!

Like Anne, I’m surprised it took so long for someone to complain and the guy to be prosecuted. I’d be up off that table and into the spa director’s office in about three seconds!

Anitra

February 22, 2011 at 4:40 pm
(8) Tim lmt says:

It is very sad that a therapist in our industry would devalue the massage and spa practice, not to mention male massage therapists. Having been licensed for 12 years and a current owner of a spa, I have seen and or received thousands of massages and I have found that draping is always more of an issue for male therapist…. making sure the guest is fully comfortable. That being said, female therapists are equally inapproopiate in their draping techniques.

As for groping, suggestive language, and anything outside of our scope of practice, leave that at home. WE are professionals male and female. Bad apples in the bunch…. male and female!

Men and women are different in so many ways that isolated reports do not correctly depict the true statistics of inapropiate touch.

February 25, 2011 at 6:39 pm
(9) Male therapist says:

I can tell you how I manage this problem. Very simple: I let the linen, towels and everything, I leave the room for 2 minutes and I simply let the female customer to cover herself. In about 2 minutes I simply knock at the door, I ask for permission to enter and that’s it. Simple as that… No trouble, no complain. Of course, during the session my hands are doing only massage, nothing else. That guy from the article was a real psycho, he was old and just couple of months in business. More than sure he started to learn it only for beeing alone with a woman in the room… In a word…a pervert, nothing else…