October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, and spas are supporting it with specials for breast cancer survivors, special events and "pink" treatments to raise awareness, and donations to breast cancer organizations.
The Spa at Pinehurst, one of the best spas in North Carolina, is having a big event on Monday, Oct. 3, 2011 with live music, workshops, free screenings, mineral make-up dustings, 20%-off everything in The Spa Boutique and a free 30- or 50-minute for all breast cancer survivors and a 50-percent discount on therapies for their "Breast Friends."
People who want to donate their long hair for wigs for children can get complimentary "Locks of Love" cuts at the Spa Salon. There will be door prizes and goodie bags and an Evening Pink Balloon release on the Spa lawn. The Spa at Pinehurst will be accepting donations throughout October for the Breast Cancer Network of Strength, and donating portion of all therapies sold at The Spa.
A pioneer in support for breast cancer patients, Spa Gregorie's in Newport Beach, California, has a Spa Day Retreat for guests who are selected and referred by nearby cancer centers. It also provides accredited oncology massage training for therapists working with cancer patients.
The Peninsula New York is featuring special pink lighting and ribbons around the traditional Chinese Guardian Lions that flank the hotel's entrance and a pink floral theme throughout the hotel. The Peninsula Spa by ESPA has created treatments like the Peninsula Pink Ceremony, a two-hour treatment that includes a body scrub, body wrap with ESPA's mineral-rich Pink Mud Mask, and relaxing whole body massage and scalp massage complete the experience. The Pink Power Package (book a 60-minute massage and get a private personal training or yoga session at a reduced price). The Pink Manicure includes a free bottle of ESSIE's "Raise Awareness" pink nail polish. Portions of the treatments support The American Cancer Society's "Making Strides Against Breast Cancer."
What else is going on with spas and spa product companies during the month of October? Here's a small sample:
- Four Seasons Resort The Biltmore, in Santa Barbara, is features a pink grapefruit massage and donating 10 % of the proceeds to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Foundation.
- Renaissance Vinoy Resort & Golf Club in St. Petersburg, Florida, has "Pink Hours" at Vinoy Salon & Spa, where 10 percent of all proceeds between 9:00 a.m. - 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m. are donated to breast cancer research.
- The Spa at Doral in Miami is giving 10 percent of the proceeds from the 50-minute Pink Pomegranate Body Scrub to fund breast cancer research. Any guest visiting The Spa at Doral in October will receive a pink stone to toss in the spa fountain in memory of those affected by breast cancer and in celebration of those who have survived.
- Oasis Day Spa is giving 10% off all services to guests wearing pink at its locations at at the Affinia Dumont in New York, Park Avenue and in Westchester, NY. The spa also provides chair massages at Susan G. Komen's Race for the Cure, both in Survivor Village and at the finish line of the race.
- Jane Iredale mineral make-up has a Roses & Lollipops lip duo features two new shades housed in a portable keychain locket. Jane Iredale will donate 100 percent of the product's profits to Living Beyond Breast Cancer, a national educational and support organization.
- Purchase suki's Eye Lift Cellular Renewal Cream from www.sukiskincare.com during October, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to Breast Cancer Action.
Why is there so much support from the spa world for Breast Cancer Awarenesss Month? "Seventy percent of spa-goers are women, and the American Cancer Society estimates that more than 230,000 new cases of breast cancer will be diagnosed in 2011 alone," said International Spa Association President Lynne McNees.
"Everyone knows someone who has been affected by the impact of breast cancer. Dealing with cancer can be a very tumultuous and stressful journey, and the spa industry provides a nurturing and relaxing environment for healing the mind, body and spirit." Find out more about what ISPA members are doing to raise awareness for breast cancer research.Photo by The Spa at Pinehurst