At destination spas, the whole environment is geared towards fitness, healthy eating, relaxation and renewal. You will be with like-minded people in a total “immersion” experience. But prices range from $200 per person per day up to $8,000 + a week. How do you choose the right one for you? And how do you make sure that the "destination spa" is not an old motel that is really a dump?
It pays to do your research. Canyon Ranch Lenox is a sprawling destination spa with fabulous facilities and more programs and classes than you could possibly attend. Golden Door in Escondido is an intimate yet luxurious experience. Active people on a budget go for New Life Hiking Spa from May through September in Vermont.
It's important think about what you're looking for in terms of facilities, price, amenities, and special programming.
Questions To Think About When You're Choosing A Destination Spa
- Do you have a special interest or goal like losing weight, detoxing, or revving up your fitness routine? Do you want to go on yoga retreat, learn how to meditate, spend lots of time hiking, or just hang out with a friend and get some relaxing spa treatments? Thinking about what you want will help you narrow down the right destination spa for you.
- Do you want a restricted calorie environment or all you can eat? Do you want alcoholic beverages or caffeine? Not every destination spa serves them. Find out their policy before you go.
- Do you have a medical issue you want to address? Canyon Ranch in Lenox, Mass. or Tucson are unparalleled in their medical programs.
- Do you want an outdoors experience, with hiking and rock climbing? Try The Red Mountain Spa in Ivins, Utah.
- How important is the educational aspect? Find out how many lectures they have and what the qualifications of the speaker are.
- Do you want an intimate atmosphere where it's easy to meet people or is a larger setting acceptable?
- Do you want to be in town or in the country? Photos can be deceiving. Find out exactly where the destination spa is located.
- How long do you want to stay at the destination spa? The minimum stay can range from two nights to a week.
- How important is a luxurious room? Some destination spas have basic rooms, on the theory that no one is going to be hanging out there much.
- How important is a luxurious spa facility? Less expensive destination spas might be somewhat basic. Remember to find out if spa treatments like massage, facials and body treatments are included in the package. You might also want more treatments than the package allows for.
Resources to Help You Choose A Destination Spa
The Destination Spa Group is made up of more than twenty destination spas that can help you choose the right destination spa for you. Go to the website for photographs, rates, general information, direct links and telephone numbers for all member spas. Or call 888-772-4363, Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. CST, to discuss what you’re looking for in terms of price, atmosphere and part of the country.