Understand What Detox Spas Are Talking AboutSpas with detox programs target four kinds of toxicity:
* the body's own metabolic waste products
* dietary toxins like alcohol, caffeine and white sugar
* psychological toxins like stress and worry
* environmental pollutants including mercury in fish and chemicals that are part of our lifestyle, from the clothes we wear to our home furnishings.
Understand What Detox Spas DoDetox spas have a number of ways to target the toxins:
* treatments that support the body's own detoxification systems. These include colon hydrotherapy and herbal enemas, which cleanse the colon, and detoxifying spa treatments like lymphatic drainage massage, and body wraps.
* dietary changes that can range from a juice fast to simpler changes like adding healthy fruits and vegetables and cutting out the foods that are hardest on your body.
* meditation and yoga that helps you change negative mental habits
* major dietary changes and oil-based treatments that are part of the Ayurvedic detox called panchakarma.
Think About What You Want In A Detox SpaWhen considering a detox spa, ask yourself these questions:
* What's the detox diet: juice fast, raw food, vegetarian/vegan, or meals with a meat option?
* Is there medical supervision?
* Are you going through the detox program with other people, or is it self-directed?
* Is there colon hydrotherapy avaialable?
* Do you want the Ayurvedic detox called panchakarma, and will you commit to major dietary changes for 3-4 weeks or longer?
* Does the detox spa offer educational lectures,and what are the qualifications of the lecturers?
* Are the surroundings luxurious or rustic?
* How much does it cost?