This Mediterranean-style salad dressing recipe was created by Chef Jesus Gonzales of Rancho La Puerta
, a destination spa
in Baja California, Mexico. The spa has a cooking school and culinary center called La Cocina Que Canta ("The Kitchen That Sings.") You can use regular basil or experiment with more unusual types you grow yourself: lemon basil, purple basil, Thai basil.
- 1 teaspoon chopped shallots
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 T white balsamic vinegar
- 1 T fresh lemon juice
- 3 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup whole fresh basil leaves, chopped
- sea salt and fresh pepper to taste
Blend all but salt and pepper in a processor or blender, pureeing until smooth. Season to taste.